Re: [nfsv4] [Labeled-nfs] New MAC label support Internet Draft posted to IETF website

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:03:35AM -0700, Jarrett Lu wrote:
> I agree with your statements on TE vs. MLS/BLP. The problem we try to
> solve is whether a DOI field + an opaque string is sufficient to solve
> the interoperability problem. My opinion is that it's insufficient as it
> doesn't take the "how to interpret MAC attribute agreement among all
> communicating peers" into account. The current proposal seems to assume
> when a node sees a DOI value of 5, it knows how to interpret the opaque
> field. This may not be true. In MLS, one also needs to know which agreed
> upon label encoding file to use in order to interpret label in the
> opaque filed. I believe the same is true for TE -- one needs to know the
> security policy being used in order to correctly interpret security
> context string in the opaque field. DOI + opaque field doesn't say which
> label encoding scheme or which security policy.

What would you add or remove on the wire to solve this problem?  My
guess: a registry of per-DOI rules, like CALIPSO does.  I don't think a
registry of DOI rules is strictly necessary for NFS (though I can see
how it helps in the case of IP), but I certainly don't object.