Re: [Labeled-nfs] [nfsv4] New MAC label support Internet Draft posted to IETF website

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 17:09 -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 09:22:42AM -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 08:55 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > > You can't represent Type Enforcement via MLS/BLP; TE is strictly more
> > > expressive than BLP, not the other way around.  It also has no inherent
> > > notion of dominance; the access matrix is explicitly defined and may
> > > include intransitive relationships, which are required for integrity
> > > goals and guaranteed invocation.
>
> I thought that MLS compartment -> DTE type.  Is that not the case?  I
> realize that DTE does not have an inherent notion of dominance, but for
> _documents_ (as opposed to operating system- or application-specific
> files like /etc/shadow) there surely must be a way to establish
> dominance, no?  That seems important to me.

No, there just needs to be a way to establish authorization.  The
internal logic for determining whether data of a given label is allowed
to transit over a network interface of a given label is policy-specific
and shouldn't be limited to the dominance relation.  It can just be
represented as a permission check on a label pair for a given object
class, and then the security policy logic can internally decide yes/no
on that permission based on any combination of the dominance relation,
the TE access matrix, or any other policy constraints.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency