Re: Patch to libsemanage to remove labeling of /root

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We should not be allowing confined daemons to write to /root.
>
> There is potential to allow confine domains to write to subdirs of
> /root. or at least read it.
>
> sshd_t needs to be able to read /root/.ssh/*

Well if you have the boolean set to allow sysadm_t logins then sshd can
entirely break your security anyway.

> Others like xauth_t need to be able to write but this is more a confined
> helper app then a real confined app.
>
> In current targeted policy I see the following
>
> # sesearch --allow -t admin_home_t  -c dir | grep write | awk '{ print
> $2 " " $3 }'
> sysadm_t admin_home_t
> rpm_t admin_home_t
> rpm_script_t admin_home_t
> xauth_t admin_home_t
> nfsd_t admin_home_t
> nmbd_t admin_home_t
> smbd_t admin_home_t
> ftpd_t admin_home_t
> kernel_t admin_home_t
>
> Where these are either an unconfined_domain or have a boolean that
> allows them to write anywhere.

Those cases all have genuine reasons for accessing /root (at least in certain
configurations based on boolean settings).

I recall that at one time the RHGB used to write files under /root because the
library code was too complex to allow them to do otherwise.  While RHGB was
unlikely to break your system, other programs with similar design would be a
risk.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog