Re: Patch to libsemanage to remove labeling of /root

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem with treating /root as the same as every other homedir, is
> confined daemons all consider /root their home dir, so they want to be
> able to read/write contents in the homedir.

We should not be allowing confined daemons to write to /root.

There is little point in confining a daemon if it can write to a file such
as /root/.bashrc which is likely to be executed as unconfined_t.

The only reason a confined daemon should access /root is if the sysadmin
starts it immediately after logging in without changing directory.  A daemon
starting with a cwd that is not accessible should not be a problem, if it is
then there are other usage cases that will get you.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog