Re: (forw) [bruce@xxxxxxxxxx: [ANNOUNCE] Need help on possible PG 8.4 security features]

In the recent days, we have a hot discussion about what features
should be included within the next PostgreSQL release (v8.4) in
the pgsql-hackers list.
SE-PostgreSQL is a candidate of new features in the v8.4, but
it has been left for unreviewed yet.

| Bruce Momjian wrote:
| OK, time for me to chime in.
|
| I think the outstanding commit-fest items can be broken down into four
| sections:
|
| 	o  Log streaming
| 	o  Hot standby
| 	o  SE-PostgreSQL
| 	o  Others

 - snip -

| SE-PostgreSQL has been in steady development for a year so this is the
| time to decide about it.  My feeling is if we don't accept it now, we
| are never going to have SE-Linux or row-level security.  The next week
| should show us the right direction when we start discussion on
| Wednesday, noon GMT.

It seems to me some of pgsql-hackers concerned about security experts
don't join to its review process (except for me :), so it is unclear
whether the SE-PostgreSQL feature is really desired, or not, and
whether its security design is really appropriate, or not.

I would like to want some your helps.

Please see,
  http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe
    -> "pgsql-hackers"
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/threads.php
    -> "8.4 release planning" thread (sorry, it's a quite long thread).

Thanks,

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>