Re: netstat -Z

On Sunday 18 January 2009 3:32:36 am Russell Coker wrote:
> The command "netstat -Z -t" will show two entries for a localhost
> connection and thus show the context of each end of the socket.
>
> The command "netstat -Z -x" seems to only show a single entry for the
> connection which will be from the server end.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SEPostgreSQL
>
> The above wiki page mentions "netstat -Z" and my personal
> interpretation of this was that I could use "netstat -Z" to find the
> context of a client end of a socket.  But it seems that I can only
> get the server end.
>
> Is this what is desired?

I would think that we would want to see both the client and server unix
sockets for the same reasons that we would want to see both client and
server inet sockets.  However, it looks like that might be the case on
my Fedora Rawhide system (I could be wrong, I don't mess with AF_UNIX
much)?

Looking at my system with "netstat -x -Z -p" (columns removed for
readability) I see what looks like a unix socket server and client for
the ACPI daemon socket:
Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)

Type       State         PID/Program name    Security Context
STREAM     CONNECTED     1994/acpid          system_u:system_r:apmd_t:s0
STREAM     CONNECTED     2139/acpid.socket   system_u:system_r:hald_t:s0

... and checking to see the actual programs with "ps 1994; ps 2139"
(columns removed for readability) I see the following:

  PID COMMAND
 1994 /usr/sbin/acpid
 2139 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket

I'm pretty sure that acpid (pid 1994) open the /var/run/acpid.socket and
writes to it (acting as server) and that hald-addon-acpi opens the
sockets and listens for events (acting as client).  If this is in fact
the case, everything appears okay on Rawhide.

--
paul moore
linux @ hp