Re: Alternative location of policy files

2008/12/25 Justin P. Mattock <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> Perhaps you could mount /etc/selinux/_policyname_ rather than /etc from a
>>> writeable filesystem?
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>> cy
>>> --
>>>
>> This is confusing to me:
>> it sounds like there not trying to mount
>> SELinux, but have the policy load
>> in a different location other than
>> /etc/selinux/*
>>
>> regards;
>>
>> Justin P. Mattock
>>

> On second thought  from what  it  sounds,
> to have SELinux be read in another location,
> you would have to locate in
> libselinux the location from where the library is
> told to read the the policy, and simple just change the location,
> but then you might have to change the kernel, all the libraries,
> all apps, etc.. that read /etc/selinux/*
> maybe a simple change of /etc/selinux/config
> seems simpler. rather than going through
> lines of code.
> Anyways,
> "Merry christmas"
>

> regards;
>
> Justin P. Mattock

You are right. I would like kernel to read policy just from different location.

So options are as folowing:
1. Change libselinux sources and sources of all related apps + kernel.
2. Try to change /etc/selinux/config.

Regarding second one - manuals on SELinux say that /etc/selinux/config
contains name of policy to be loaded. And that name _policyname_ is a
name of directory in /etc/selinux/_policyname_ having subdirectory
policy with actual policy file.

So, it seems only option #1 is the one to use.

Does kernel use libselinux to read policy or it reads it directly from
filesystem?
Any other pitfalls?

Tim