Re: Conditional Access to Network Resources

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 11:25 +0200, Chris Kuester wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm facing the following problem:
>
> I want to allow my domain to access certain ports on the local interface
> and certain ports on a nonlocal interface.
> Example:
> Domain may connect to port 25 over eth0
> Domain may connect to port 4242 only on the loopback interface.
>
> But if I allow my domain to access port 25 over eth0 it can also
> access port 25 on the local interface because I have to allow full
> access to both, local and remote nodes and sending traffic over
> both network interfaces.
>
> I think I need to have some kind of condition, or do I missunderstand
> something here?
>
> Constraint: Switching to SECMARKing instead of the "old" network
> confinement code is not an option at the moment. :(

Offhand, I think that is your only option if you want to express
combinations of restrictions like this - this is precisely why SECMARK
was created.

Now, if your goal instead is to control the end point domains to which a
domain can connect, then you might investigate using labeled networking
and its controls instead to enforce restrictions over what domains can
talk with what other domains.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency