Re: Re: Genfscon and cramfs issue

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 08:50 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 23:26 +0000, korkishko Tymur wrote:
> > According to my understanding, on the step of creating cramfs image, all files that will go into that image are analyzed by mkcramfs software.
> > If identical files are found, only single copy of the file is
> > compressed and preserved in the image.
>
> I suspect that mkcramfs is responsible for creating the two links as
> hard links to the same inode when it creates the image.  So I would
> suggest looking into mkcramfs and see if you can modify it or invoke it
> with options to not hard link the files you want to keep separate.

I looked at the mkfs.cramfs.c source code in util-linux-ng
(disk-utils/mkfs.cramfs.c) and it has an eliminate_doubles() function
that scans for duplicate files and coalesces them to save space in the
image.  So you could change or skip that function to avoid coalescing
files that you need to keep separate.  It appears to entirely be a
userland issue for saving space in the image, not a kernel issue.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency