Re: gdm ubuntu 8.10

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2008 14:56, "Justin Mattock" <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Hello; for a while I've been using nubuntu,but now have decided
>> to try a full loaded O.S. when using nubuntu  there is no automatic
>> gnome-desktop-manager, normally just a login then choosing a context,
>> then startx.
>> Now with ubuntu there's an automatic login screen with bells and whistles,
>>  what is the best way to add pam_selinux.so so I can choose my context,
>> or should I adjust the policy to start in sysadm_r as the default
>> instead of user_r?
>
> Some of the *dm programs have SE Linux support merged (like sshd) so you don't
> need pam_selinux.so (it may cause problems).  Some of them don't have SE
> Linux code and therefore do need pam_selinux.so.  Some of them might have the
> old version of the code in which case the login->user mapping isn't done and
> things will go wrong (best not to use it in that case).
>
> Run ldd and check for libselinux.so, if it's there then you don't want
> pam_selinux.so - so it's a matter of testing whether the code in question is
> new enough.  If there is no libselinux.so then you can safely use
> pam_selinux.so.
>
> Some of the daemons have only recently been fixed in Lenny, so the broken
> versions may still be in Ubuntu.
>
> --
> russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog
>
> http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development

Cool, thanks for the info on this one,
when doing ldd /usr/sbin/gdm there is libselinux
when doing ldd /sbin/usplash there isn't. With this in mind
I need to examine the order of operations(still shaky with how this
mechanism works)
 i.g. during bootup gdm is called
then after login there's a few second's of nothingness(orange color'ed
screen) before the theme song
and the rest of the goodies appear. when using pam_selinux.so I
noticed when disabling gdm
the options to choose the context was not there, until downgrading to
sarge/lenny, then was prompted
for a context to choose. but unfortunately /etc/init.d/gdm start after
the boot process still leaves me in user_r.
As for the list of packages I think these are all intrepid.

--
Justin P. Mattock