Re: Help: SELinux causing(?) boot failures...

Stephen Smalley wrote:

Hmmm...do you have CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DEVELOP=y in your
kernel .config file?  If not, your kernel won't support permissive mode
at all and will always be in enforcing mode.

Yes, I have both that and the boot option enabled in the kernel.

(transcribed by hand since neither syslog nor auditd are starting)

avc: denied { execute_no_trans } for pid=1 comm="init" path="/sbin/init" dev=sda3 ino=920038 scontext=system_u:system_r:kernel_t tcontext=system_u:object_r:file_t tclass=file

So your filesystem is not labeled at all.

This is what I thought, but when I boot with "selinux=0" I am able to run setfiles on all the file systems and it claims it's doing the labelling properly, so I'm not sure what else to do.

Are you sure you followed the steps in the Hardened Gentoo SELinux
guide?  And have you sent any email to the gentoo-hardened list about
this, as you'll get Gentoo-specific help there?

I wasn't sure it was a Gentoo-specific problem, but I'm rebuilding the system from scratch again to make sure I didn't miss anything, then I'll move to the Gentoo list from there.

Thanks,

--Mike