Re: Question about newrole

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 22:32 +0800, Dennis Wronka wrote:
> Thanks.
> That seems to help quite a bit.
> I now get some messages. For example it seems that newrole wants to
> read /etc/shadow directly.
> Will check those messages and play around with the policy.

The way it works is that pam_unix attempts to open /etc/shadow directly
for reading, and if it fails, it falls back to running unix_chkpwd to
perform the password check.  SELinux policy prohibits most programs from
directly reading /etc/shadow, including even ones that run as root, and
forces them to go through unix_chkpwd instead, in order to limit the set
of processes that have full read access to the shadow password file.

The logic to try to open /etc/shadow and fall back to unix_chkpwd
already existed before SELinux in order to support non-root processes
re-authenticating the current user.  What changed with SELinux was that
it could also happen for root processes.

The current policy dontaudit's the attempt to directly read /etc/shadow
to avoid noise.  When you did semodule -DB, you turned on that auditing.
But those denials are what is expected, and allowing them will mean
giving newrole direct read access to /etc/shadow (although that will
only work if running as root, of course, as otherwise it has to use a
suid helper like unix_chkpwd anyway).

Does newrole work for you as a non-root user?

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency