Re: [patch] SELinux: trivial, unify iterator variable naming

On Monday 21 July 2008 23:38, Paul Moore <paul.moore@xxxxxx> wrote:
> A few thoughts: others did not object to those variable names when the
> patches were proposed, or at any point prior to this thread, and no one
> besides you and I has commented on this thread.  This is a sign to me
> that the 'idx' variable name is not a significant distraction to the
> community.

One thing that is worth considering is the possibility that idx might be
better for searching.

Lots of words contain an 'i' character and therefore searching for a variable
named 'i' in a code base is going to be difficult (automated searching is
mostly useless, probably the best option is to have your editor highlight
every instance and visually scan for the ones with are not surrounded by
brackets, braces, parenthesis, spaces, commas, or whatever else is not
acceptable in a variable name in the language in question.

Of course if you have a syntax highlighting editor then it might parse enough
of the language to avoid this (but that isn't always available), and if you
have a language such as Perl a search for \$i should work reasonably well.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2008/07/30/variable-names/

But using idx, index, or even names such as "count" which refer to the meaning
of the program might be more efficient overall.  I've posted some more
thoughts on this issue at the above URL.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development