Re: Should /dev/mem be SystemHigh?

Joe Nall wrote:
ls -Z /dev/mem
crw-r----- root kmem system_u:object_r:memory_device_t:SystemHigh / dev/mem

In our MLS X policy, we are giving the X server mls_file_read_all_levels and mls_file_write_all_levels to be able to access the SystemHigh /dev/mem. I would prefer not to give X general file MLS override if possible.

The X server is trusted to manage MLS objects internally, so a general file MLS override doesn't seem to be inappropriate in this case. But see below.

Is there a way to assign MLS read up/write up on just one type (i.e. allow X to read up only on memory_device_t)?

You could add an exception to the MLS constraints for the "file read" ops. This exception would be an "or" clause taking the form (t1 == xserver_type) and (t2 == memory_device_t). Steve doesn't think these kinds of specific exemption are very maintainable, and I would tend to agree.

Another option could be to split up the "file read" constraint, taking the chr_file (character device file type) out and adding a separate override interface just for device files.

Is there a potential refactoring of the X server that eliminates the need for /dev/mem access? Dan hinted at this at the developer summit to allow X to run as the user.

My understanding of this is that the ability to run the X server as an unprivileged UID is a long-term goal but not something that's ready just yet.

Would it be better to mls_file_write_within_range(memory_device_t) (i.e. make it a trusted object) and pull the MLS override out of the X policy?

I think this may work. You would be relying on type enforcement alone to protect /dev/mem in this case, if I understand correctly.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency