Re: user_identify for httpd (warning: newbie question)

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 15:42 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (policy-targeted), I run my main user
> account as "user_u:system_r:unconfined_t". When I do a "sudo service
> httpd start", httpd runs as "user_u:system_r:httpd_t".
>
> On Fedora 9 (policy-targeted), I run my main user account as
> "unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t". When I do a "sudo service
> httpd start", httpd runs as "unconfined_u:system_r:httpd_t".
>
> "httpd.conf" is configured on each system to run as the user and group
> "apache".
>
> With regards to Fedora 9, am I doing something wrong? Is it okay for the
> SELinux user to be "unconfined_u" for services?
>
> Thanks for any advice,

It is non-ideal but not a vulnerability (since the TE policy governs
what domains can be reached from the service domain, e.g. httpd_t).

Ideally it would be transitioned to system_u.  Requires SELinux to
support automatic user identity transitions, something we didn't expect
would be needed since user identity is normally set explicitly by
programs.  SELinux has a "run_init" program that will explicitly
transition into a system context for restarting system services, but it
isn't integrated into /sbin/service and friends - early on in Fedora
SELinux integration, they ran into problems with seamlessly making it
work with existing usage patterns.

There have been some preliminary patches floated to add user identity
transitions to SELinux.  Not sure what the status is on that - Joshua?