Re: Policy loading: initramfs vs. patched /sbin/init

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2008/07/24/se-linux-policy-loading/

Firstly above is the URL for the blog post in question, for the benefit of
people who don't normally read Planet SE Linux.

On Friday 25 July 2008 12:08, Stephen Smalley <stephen.smalley@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I saw your blog entry about policy loading on planet selinux - you ought
> to bring issues like that up on selinux list for discussion rather than
> just blogging about them.

If I had realised what was going on before the release of Fedora 9 I would
have.  But it seems that the Red Hat people have made their decision, so the
decisions about what to do for Debian and Ubuntu have to be made separately.

> First, to clarify, while Ubuntu and Fedora are initiating the policy
> load from the initramfs, they are taking the policy from the real root
> filesystem.  Thus, the policy is not being stored on the initramfs image
> and updates to policy do not require rebuilding the image.

I have been told that an Ubuntu initramfs generated for a non-SE system will
not have the scripts in question installed.  So there is a need to regenerate
the initramfs when converting to SE Linux.

> On the positive side, the initramfs-based approach does mean
> that /sbin/init from the real root automatically transitions into the
> right domain since policy is already loaded.

Saving one exec system call.

> And policy gets loaded no
> matter what init is used or even if the user specifies an alternate
> init= program on the kernel command line.

As I noted in my blog post there are not many init programs.  Only two are
commonly used, and one of them has the patch well supported for a long time.
Deciding to patch two vastly different initramfs systems instead of one init
system (which is very similar the other one) was never going to reduce pain.

> As you note, performing the load from initramfs can be problematic for
> systems that cannot or choose not to use an initramfs,

Not problematic, a major show-stopper!

> So I'm not fundamentally opposed to having the support in /sbin/init as
> well if that's feasible, but you'll need it to detect whether policy has
> already been loaded and skip it if so or it will end up loading policy
> twice on systems that are using the initramfs-based approach.

Caleb has suggested having the already patched SysV init for systems that
can't use initramfs.  That means such detection would be required in that
case.

--
russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog