Re: what is the point of semodule -u?

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 10:17 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> semodule supports options "-i" for install and "-u" for upgrade.  It seems
> that "semodule -i" will upgrade a module, so what is the point
> of "semodule -u"?  Are we assuming that a user or script that calls semodule
> doesn't know what it is doing and relies on the "-u" option refusing to
> install the same (or an older) version for correct results?
>
> If so then I doubt that it will work well as I don't think that versions can
> be tracked accurately with the way the code is developed (EG a new release
> from a distribution vendor might have a higher version number than your local
> customisation even though your local changes are more relevant for your
> environment).

I'm not entirely sure about the original rationale for it, but upgrade
appears to differ from install in two ways:
1) It will fail if a module of the same name isn't already installed
(vs. adding it), and
2) It will fail if a module with the same name and the same or higher
version number is installed already (vs. replacing it).

So for example if you ran semodule -u *.pp on some directory full of .pp
files, it would only actually install modules that already had prior
versions of the same module installed and that were newer in version
number.

Not sure if that is practically useful or not.