Re: OpenMoko/JFFS2 sestatus difficulties

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 15:03 +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 18:17 -0400, Willis Vandevanter wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >>    I am working on developing a targeted SELinux policy for
> >> OpenMoko devices (www.openmoko.org) as a Google Summer Of Code project
> >> (http://code.google.com/p/selinux-openmoko/).
> >>
> >> Background:
> >> I have cross-compiled the necessary SELinux code (libselinux-1.34.15,
> >> checkpolicy-1.34.7, libsemanage-1.10.9, libsepol-1.16.14,
> >> policycoreutils-1.34.16) and devloped a very basic targeted policy. I
> >> ported the code on to the device. The policy compiles (make) and
> >> installs (make install).
> >>
> >> Where I am stuck:
> >> When cross-compiling libselinux I get some strange behavior.
> >> Specifically, I compiled libselinux with the following flags:
> >>  make
> >> CC=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/bin/cc ARCH=arm
> >> LIBDIR=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib
> >>  I then copied the new libselinux.so.1 on to the device. sestatus
> >> returns that SELinux is enabled and lists the correct policy version,
> >> etc. *BUT* make relabel doesn't work. make relabel (or setfiles) gives
> >> the following error:
> >>
> >> file_contexts/file_contexts: Invalid argument make: *** [relabel]
> >> Error 1
> >> The error seems to be that file_contexts is not being interpreted as a
> >> regular file (i.e. S_ISREG(sb.st_mode) in setfiles.c is returning 0).
> >
> > That doesn't seem consistent with the error message; if the S_ISREG()
> > test fails, setfiles would send the following output to stderr:
> >        setfiles:  spec file <path> is not a regular file.
> > So perhaps you are instead encountering an error on the stat() call that
> > precedes the S_ISREG() test, and the perror() output there is what you
> > are getting above?
> >
> > setfiles is built with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 by default, and thus uses
> > the 64-bit large file system interfaces.  But this can be overridden via
> > CFLAGS.
> >
> >> I assume this is because I compiled libselinux without the OpenMoko
> >> specific header files (ie with my host-x86 /usr/include rather than
> >> the device specific ones), so I re-compiled libselinux:
> >>
> >> make
> >> CC=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/bin/ccARCH=arm
> >> LIBDIR=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib
> >> INCLUDEDIR=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include
> >> I then copied libselinux.so.1 on to the device. setfiles will now
> >> correctly label the filesystem, but sestatus now returns SELinux as
> >> disabled. I set /etc/selinux/config file to permissive and rebooted,
> >> but it is still listed as disabled.
> >>
> >> How is SELinux determined to be enabled? Could missing or
> >> mis-configured header files in the OpenMoko /usr/include cause SELinux
> >> to appear as disabled?

> [...]

I'm not sure what you are asking.  In some distributions, selinuxfs is
mounted by /sbin/init.  In other distributions, it is mounted by early
userspace from initramfs by invoking load_policy -i or directly calling
the corresponding libselinux function.

Regardless, you don't need it in your fstab file; selinuxfs gets mounted
before fstab is ever read normally.

As far as enabled/disabled goes, selinuxfs doesn't even have to be
presently mounted in the process' namespace; it only needs to be
registered in the kernel (as shown by /proc/filesystems) and a policy
has to have been previously loaded.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency