OpenMoko/JFFS2 sestatus difficulties

Hello All,

   I am working on developing a targeted SELinux policy for
OpenMoko devices (www.openmoko.org) as a Google Summer Of Code project
(http://code.google.com/p/selinux-openmoko/).

Background:
I have cross-compiled the necessary SELinux code (libselinux-1.34.15,
checkpolicy-1.34.7, libsemanage-1.10.9, libsepol-1.16.14,
policycoreutils-1.34.16) and devloped a very basic targeted policy. I
ported the code on to the device. The policy compiles (make) and
installs (make install).

Where I am stuck:
When cross-compiling libselinux I get some strange behavior.
Specifically, I compiled libselinux with the following flags:
 make
CC=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/bin/cc ARCH=arm
LIBDIR=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib
 I then copied the new libselinux.so.1 on to the device. sestatus
returns that SELinux is enabled and lists the correct policy version,
etc. *BUT* make relabel doesn't work. make relabel (or setfiles) gives
the following error:

file_contexts/file_contexts: Invalid argument make: *** [relabel] Error 1
The error seems to be that file_contexts is not being interpreted as a
regular file (i.e. S_ISREG(sb.st_mode) in setfiles.c is returning 0).
I assume this is because I compiled libselinux without the OpenMoko
specific header files (ie with my host-x86 /usr/include rather than
the device specific ones), so I re-compiled libselinux:

make
CC=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/bin/ccARCH=arm
LIBDIR=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib
INCLUDEDIR=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include
I then copied libselinux.so.1 on to the device. setfiles will now
correctly label the filesystem, but sestatus now returns SELinux as
disabled. I set /etc/selinux/config file to permissive and rebooted,
but it is still listed as disabled.

How is SELinux determined to be enabled? Could missing or
mis-configured header files in the OpenMoko /usr/include cause SELinux
to appear as disabled?

I apologize for the long email. The policy I am using is available at
http://code.google.com/p/selinux-openmoko/. The cross-compiled
binaries are also available. I am using a 2.6.24.7 kernel with SELinux
and JFFS2 XATTR enabled.

Thank you for your help,
  Willis