Re: X in enforcing mode

Joe Nall wrote:
In order to get firefox, evolution and xterm to run under twm with the X object manager in enforcing/mls at a single level I had to add the following user policy:

allow $1_t $1_rootwindow_t:x_drawable { get_property getattr read override hide send destroy remove_child };
         allow $1_t $1_xserver_t:x_resource write;

Where $1 is user

xinit was started by hand at init 3.

Not being an X guy, I don't really understand what I just allowed. Does this make sense?

I can take a look at it if you send the original AVC's. I'm assuming for the moment that twm is running in $1_t.

At first glance, everything seems normal, although the fact that something (hopefully the window manager) is requesting "destroy", "hide", and "override" on the root window is kind of odd. "Read" permission should only be granted to the window manager, since it allows a screen-shot to be taken. The x_resource object class is a generic fallback for any X object that doesn't have its own object class - I'd need to see the AVC to see what's going on there.

The other permissions are normal and safe to grant.  Briefly:

"get_property" allows the app to read properties on the root window.
"getattr" allows the app to query the size of the root window or other attributes. "send" allows the app to send an event to the root window (this is done as part of some ICCCM conventions for communicating with the window manager).
"remove_child" allows the app to destroy its own windows when it's done.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency