Re: Trying to get XAce policy straightened out but our tool chain is too broken to handle it.

Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 07:17 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
Stephen Smalley wrote:
On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 11:11 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

The problem I have is the compiler is too stupid to understand the
differences between a gen_requires block defining the required types and
the actual type definition.

So I end up in a catch 22 where the compiler tells me I need to require
$1_rootwindow_t, but if I gen_require type $1_rootwindow_t, it tells me
I have a duplicate definition.

So if you have a derived type in a gen_requires block the compiler can
not handle it.
I'm a little unclear as to why this is required (why do you need to
require and declare the same symbol again?).  However, is there some
reason we can't just automatically promote a require to a declaration
upon encountering the latter?  Seems like we've talked about this
before.  Not sure whether that should happen within libsepol
symtab_insert() or in the callers, e.g. declare_type().

I don't know,  All I know is the compiler complains if it is there and
if it is not there.  Catch 22.  I end up going to great lengths to hack
around compiler errors...

We add requires to templates, so that if they're used outside xserver,
the caller gets the appropriate require.  But then we also use the
template inside xserver for code reuse, which is where the problem
creeps up.  There are a couple other examples of this in refpolicy, but
I was able to work around them by reordering statements.  It sounds like
Dan's situation may not be something that can be easily worked around
without some restructuring

I opened a ticket in the refpolicy Trac for this: http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/ticket/43

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>