Re: SELinux References/Books

Russell Coker wrote:
On Friday 13 June 2008 04:00, "max bianco" <maximilianbianco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
here that I am unaware of or that simply aren't occurring to me right
now. I can't be the first person to have such an idea and it will of
course be pointed out that live journals work much the same but here
my point is the scope of the audience that you are reaching on a
mailing list vs. an individual blog of which there are hundred's of
thousands if not millions. Also it would help by adding more

That's why you have blog syndication. I expect that the number of people who read my blog via the various Planets exceeds the number of subscribers that most mailing lists have. Of course blog syndication does not work well for content that is being modified.

other thing I noticed, while at the bookstore, is that various/most of
the Linux magazines on the shelf right now have articles on security
in them and one, i forget which, has a piece on SELinux. It seems its
a hot topic everywhere I look. Cspan aired a rerun, from yesterday I

My observation is that SE Linux is not as much of a hot topic as it used to be. Now there are many people using it (some of whom don't even realise that they do), and it's part of the infrastructure. When SE Linux was a new thing that few people understood there was a lot more excitement.

what I saw nobody mentioned the real problem. As far as I am concerned
the "real" problem is having the widespread use of an operating system
that makes things like drive by downloads so easy in the first place,

Until we get the X access controls in common use, SE Linux won't be doing that much to prevent desktop attacks.

I had noticed a bit of traffic about X. It seems its going to be quite the effort to properly confine it. I noticed also that Eamon Walsh had posted some links to info on X related magic. This interests me a lot because I like to game, although I haven't played any games since switching over to a Linux-based OS : ( I know online gaming is very popular and there aren't many Linux games that meet expectations but I am sure that will change or maybe everyone will just buy a PS3. I have heard of a few vulnerabilities in games like world of warcraft and eve online, though I am not sure how many are directly related to the xserver or whatever passes for its equivalent on a windows box. I know some of these games are starting to release or work on linux clients, it will be interesting to see how much care they take to do it safely and securely. I am not very hopeful on this but perhaps I will be surprised : )

where most of the security rests with a program(anti virus) that
relies almost exclusively on updates but that is another debate and

I don't think that you will get a debate on the merits of anti-virus software on this list. I think that there is general agreement that any attacker worth worrying about will launch an attack that doesn't match a known signature. Past discussions on this list have covered issues such as the utility of shells and interpreters such as Perl for launching attacks.

I will have to spend some of this free time I have digging through the archives.

Note that this doesn't mean that virus scanners for email and browser warnings for bogus sites are a bad idea. Mitigating factors that reduce the scope of the threat make it easier to recognise real threats.

Understood and I wasn't trying to suggest such a thing but a lot of home users think anti-virus = saftey as in the 100% variety. That attitude is held by a lot of people even unfortunately some in the IT field. Many people take their computers for granted and assume the makers of such devices automatically try to make them as safe as possible, when its actually "as cost effective as possible" that wins out in the majority of cases. One of the first things to get sacrificed is usually security it seems. They seem to like to spend all the dollars on making it look pretty : ( which would be fine if the substance was there but I suspect that's another never ending debate and actually it points to a social problem anyway.

probably not one worth having anyway. Unfortunately it will probably
take a major virus outbreak, on a scale we have yet to see, or a
massive, widespread, and very public breach of security to wake people
up. I will go ahead and shutdown here,  my real point is that it seems
people are starting to pay a lot more attention :^). Thanks for the
feedback.

http://conference.auscert.org.au/conf2006/presentation.php

There are significant amounts of money involved in computer crime nowadays. At the AusCERT 2006 conference Jake Jacobson of the U.S. Secret Service gave a very interesting talk about the organised computer crime groups. The amounts of money involved give a lot of nasty people significant incentives to not have public breaches of security.

I've been involved in the SE Linux project for almost seven years. Over that time I have always felt that the problem scope is increasing faster than our progress on fixing things.

It would be nice if we (the human race) were as wise as we are eager.

PS If you get a chance I recommend that you attend a lecture by Jake or one of his colleagues. It's an experience you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Will do. I am already putting the link you provided to use :^) I love information, if you have any other links I am always looking for good ones. Considering the volume of information available I think I am going to have to take a speed reading&retention course.

--
Fortune favors the BOLD