Re: Questions regarding labeled ipsec/MAC networking

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:30 -0500, Joy Latten wrote:
> I am finishing up the internet-drafts for labeled ipsec. The ipsec RFCs
> have been updated and I have a question about how one of the new
> features in one of the updated rfcs should work with labeled ipsec
> or MAC networking in general.
>
> 1. rfc 4301 - IP Security Architecture introduces and describes a
> Populate From Packet (PFP) flag on page 23.
>
> When creating a new SA, the PFP flag is used to determine whether the
> value for the selector of the new SA will come from the packet that
> triggered the SA's creation or from the SPD entry. For example, the
> source address is a selector. An outbound packet finds an SPD entry, but
> no SA, so must create an SA. Currently, we take packet's source address
> and use this as source address when negotiating and creating new SA.
>
> However, according to rfc 4301, PFP flag can be set and then used to
> decide whether newly created SA's source address selector might come
> from the packet or from the SPD entry.
>
> My concern is that security context is described in draft as a selector,
> thus I need to consider PFP flag. Do we want PFP-flag capability for
> security context selector? For example, in current selinux policy,
> ipsec_spd_t:s0 is default SPD entry label.
> Let's say sshd triggers SA creation with sshd_t:s0. Currently, new SA
> will be created with sshd_t:s0. However, with PFP capability, new SA
> being created could have sshd_t:s0 or ipsec_spd_t:s0 depending on what
> PFP-flag is set to?
>
> In the example, to create the SA with ipsec_spd_t seems like a relabel
> to me. Do we want this to ever happen? At first I thought it could be
> used to map data to certain labels, that is the label in the SPD
> entry... but I don't know if this is a desired thing in MAC networking?
> Do we want to disable using PFP flag for security context and always
> take label from socket triggering SA creation as done currently?

I don't think we want to support taking the label from the SPD entry; or
if we did, I think it would be a separate label from the normal SPD
label - one specifically dedicated to being applied to SAs.

> I have another question:
>
> 2. Security Gateways in MAC networking.
>
> In obsoleted rfc 2401 -IP Security Architecture, section 8.6 described
> an MLS security gateway using IPsec as:
>
>   "a security gateway acting as an outbound proxy, creating SAs for MLS
>    systems that originate packets forwarded by the gateway. These MLS
>    systems may explicitly label the packets to be forwarded, or the
>    whole originating network may have sensitivity characteristics
>    associated with it. The security gateway MUST create and use
>    appropriate SAs for AH, ESP or both, to protect such traffic it
>    forwards.
>
>    Similarly such a gateway SHOULD accept and process inbound AH and/or
>    ESP packets and forward appropriately, using explicit packet
>    labeling, or relying on the sensitivity characteristics of the
>    destination network."
>
> All mention of MLS networking as in rfc 2401 was left out in rfc 4301.
> So I want to reintroduce it as MAC networking instead.
>
> Do we want to consider labeled ipsec for security gateways in MAC
> networking? There would be 2 cases that I can think of.

Yes.

> 1. machines behind the security gateway that explicitly label the
>    packets (CIPSO). This is stated above.
>
>    In this case above text is still applicable.
>
> 2. The whole originating network has a security context associated with
>    it. In this case, packets from machines behind the security gateway
>    are not explicitly labeled. These machines send their packets to
>    security security gateway to be forwarded. This incoming interface of
>    the security gateway is labeled. All packets arriving on it (from
>    machines behind the gateway) would be marked with this label. And
>    that would be the label used to negotiate and create the SAs for the
>    packets originating from behind the gateway.
>
>    Is this acceptable MAC networking for security gateways?

There are likely other scenarios as well, e.g. using the source IP as a
selector, etc.

There is also the issue of outer vs. inner label in the Sun labeled
IPSEC design, but I'm not certain we want to support that.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency