Re: Questions regarding labeled ipsec/MAC networking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Joy Latten wrote:

> 2. The whole originating network has a security context associated with
>    it. In this case, packets from machines behind the security gateway
>    are not explicitly labeled. These machines send their packets to
>    security security gateway to be forwarded. This incoming interface of
>    the security gateway is labeled. All packets arriving on it (from
>    machines behind the gateway) would be marked with this label. And
>    that would be the label used to negotiate and create the SAs for the
>    packets originating from behind the gateway.
>
>    Is this acceptable MAC networking for security gateways?

I don't think we should be specifying that this is the only possible model
for classifying packets and applying labels.  Any number of attributes can
be used for packet classification (ports, addresses, protocols etc.), and
labels applied to SAs does not have to be directly related to local label.

There may also be finer graine external labeling than "whole network", so
I think that needs to be generalized, too.  e.g.  something like, the
gateway MAY utilize various attributes of the traffic and existing
security labels to determine labels for SAs to be applied.

--
James Morris
<jmorris@xxxxxxxxx>