Re: I have begun merging XWindows Controls into Rawhide.

Christopher J. PeBenito wrote:
On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 09:07 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
But the complexity of this stuff is just getting nuts.

I don't thing we should have more then one type for xserver.  Allowing a
confined user to transition to user_xserver_t is just nuts and ends up
having awful policy for getting xdm_xserver_t to work.  Why in the world
would we allow a confined user to start and XServer?  And if they can,
why not just allow them to start xdm_xserver_t?  In Rawhide right now no
users can start and Xserver except unconfined_t and he starts
xdm_xserver_t to make sure the transitions work properly.  If someone
actually has a use case where they need user separated xservers then I
say write that policy off the main stream.  You can still theoretically
run multiple xdm_xserver_t at different MLS levels.

I would be fine with only having one type for the X server; this would certainly simplify the policy that currently has all kinds of kludgery to support both "xdm_" and "$1_".

On a locked-down strict system like an MLS box, the user wouldn't be allowed to run startx anyway. So I agree that the current constructions are unnecessary.

Having four macro parameters is confusing as hell, and needs to go.

This comes back to forthcoming effort for trying to use RBAC for role
separation.  That would eliminate the structural complexity we see due
to using TE for the role separation

Is work being done on this? I recall you said you were interested in taking on this task.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency