RE: Disabling SELinux by kernel vulnerability

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 12:06 +0000, Waide, Ronan wrote:

> > From: owner-selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-selinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > On Behalf Of Stephen Smalley
> > It would be more useful to just build a kernel with a config that
> > disabled the support for permissive mode and runtime disable
> > altogether;
>
> Is this the current recommended way of preventing SELinux from being
> switched off? There's a FAQ somewhere that used suggest disabling a
> particular macro in the policy build (which I can't recall off the top
> of my head) but by the time I got around to trying it out it on a test
> system the technique no longer worked.

The policy-based approach only controls the ability to change enforcing
mode or reload policy via the corresponding kernel interfaces.  I think
the secure_mode_policyload boolean exists in current policy to let you
disable the ability to change enforcing mode or reload policy.  But that
doesn't help with exploitation of a kernel flaw that permits writing to
kernel memory, which is what we are talking about here.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency