Re: Disabling SELinux by kernel vulnerability

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 23:43 +0900, Yuichi Nakamura wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I saw an article on slashdot.
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/10/2011257
>
> Local exploit code for Linux kernel exists,
> exploit code is also disclosed in http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/5092.
>
> In the exploit code, only uid is changed to 0.
> So, SELinux is not affected.
>
> However, SELinux can be disabled by overwriting selinux_enforcing to 0.
> The address of selinux_enforcing can be seen in /proc/kallsyms,
> and I've set the value on the address to 0.
>
> I tried that on Fedora 8,
> and I could disable SELinux(set selinux as permissive) from xguest_t
> domain.
>
> I want to make it more difficult
> for attackers to disable SELinux by kernel exploit.
>
> I think not exporting selinux_enforcing(and selinux_disable) to
> /proc/kallsyms is useful.
> And /proc/kallsyms is visible from many processes because it is proc_t,
> assigning /proc/kallsyms label such as proc_ksym_t may be also useful.
> Are they really useful?
> Or any idea??

It would be more useful to just build a kernel with a config that
disabled the support for permissive mode and runtime disable altogether;
such config options already exist.  And you can also omit /proc/kallsyms
altogether via kernel config.

Labeling /proc/kallsyms with a distinct type is likely feasible, so that
could be changed in policy.

There is a patch floating around to turn the LSM hook calls into direct
SELinux calls so that there is no more security_ops pointer that can be
overwritten.  But there will still be other critical variables, and
SELinux can't protect against kernel vulnerabilities in general.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency