Re: X avcs

Xavier Toth wrote:
On Jan 10, 2008 2:27 PM, Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Glenn Faden wrote:
This is my first posting to this alias, so let me start by introducing
myself. I'm a Distinguished Engineer in the Solaris security
organization, and I'm the original architect for Sun's multilevel X11
server. I have worked on this problem since 1990, and have designed
three multilevel desktops (Open Look, CDE, and GNOME)

One of the biggest challenges in adding fine-grained policy to the X11
server is to make the policy transparent to existing X11 clients.
Probably the most critical design decision we made was with respect to
root window resources. By default, all root window properties are
polyinstantiated by both label and uid. For SELinux, the equivalent
policy would be polyinstantiation by security context (not just MLS
label). An exception list of single-instance root-window properties is
enumerated in a policy file.
We have found that the list of exceptions is much smaller than the list
that should be polyinstantiated.

Hello.  I am not opposed to the idea of polyinstantiated properties.
Although our approach has always been to attempt to fix applications to
work within the secure environment first, it looks like this is a case
where polyinstantiated is needed.

My first thought on the implementation is that a value-return parameter
could be added to the PROPERTY_ACCESS hook so that security modules can
return the actual PropertyPtr object they wish to be used.  The
FindProperty function would then have to be upgraded to a general lookup
function similar to dixLookupResource(), dixLookupDrawable(), etc. and
the property code would have to be refactored to use it everywhere when
looking up a property.  The semantics of the various property requests,
in particular RotateProperties, might make this a little more difficult.

Yep, rotate, list, anything that traverses the property list, is a
problem. It seems like it would be better to have a property list per
context. How about a dixLookupProperties function on window that would
return a linked list (PropertyPtr) of properties that it gets from an
xace hook call?

It would be a lot of work for security modules to put this list together. I think it would be best to just use the singular dixLookupProperty() and modify the list traversal code to use it. The awkward case is ProcListProperty where the lookup function would have to be called, and if it returns BadValue that can mean "this PropertyPtr doesn't really exist, move along." But the rotate code already uses FindProperty and I think the other cases can be handled without any difficulties.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency