cant SSH/Console Login and no deny/error messages

I've trying to get SELinux strict up and running on a RHEL4-U4 box and
not having much luck. I have one account and 3 programs that I need to
protect from root. I was unable to get targeted to login under the user
that I created, something about the policy always defaulting to user_u.
So Fine, I tried to install the strict/ref policy from the tresys and
cips. Dues to this being an x86_64 system, that didn't go well either.
Trying plan C  I went with the FC3 strict policy. Obviously some
improvemtns have been made since then, but this was the first strict
policy I was able to install without completely hosing my system. sshd
and login seem to really like having libselinux(64) around.

So my question here has to possible answers:

1) where the heck can I find some rpms for RHEl4 -x86_64 and the most
recent ref policy.

--OR--

2) what could possibly be causing no [avc denied] messages to be logged.
Most of the messages I have used with audit2allow to to try and get
everything to work. Finally I go to the point of having no more messages
even when rebooting the machine. If I put things into passive mode
still no more messages, this is with constant reloading of the policy to
clear the avc cache.

help please.

"A fractal is by definition a set for which the Hausdorff Besicovitch
dimension strictly exceeds the topological dimension." -- Mandelbrot,
"The Fractal Geometry of Nature"