Re: obsolete policy

Sorry to send this twice, the list rejected because my first included HTML (darn browser email interface).

RHEL8 includes mcelog

Dave

From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 6, 2021 1:54 PM
To: Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; selinux-refpolicy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <selinux-refpolicy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: obsolete policy

On 3/4/21 8:30 PM, Russell Coker wrote:
> Chris, what do you think of this?
>
> On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 22:28:34 AEDT Russell Coker wrote:
>> Below is the list of policy modules which seem to be obsolete.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/874147/removed-20070115-17-from-unstable/
>>
>> aiccu has been removed from Debian because SixXS has been shut down and no
>> replacement popped up within 3 months.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/1074787/removed-140pre2git141-g6d40dace6358-> 2-from-unstable/
>>
>> bcf2 has been removed from Debian because py2-only; RC buggy; orphaned since
>> ~2 years; no upstream release in ~4 years; low popcon
>>
>> https://www.voip-info.org/callweaver/
>>
>> callweaver is regarded as dead, and it's also a fork of Asterisk so should
>> probably be an addition to asterisk.fc if we were to support it.
>>
>> https://www.unixarena.com/2015/12/compare-redhat-cluster-releases-rhel-7-ha-> vs-rhel-6-ha.html/
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/758808/removed-318-13-from-unstable/
>>
>> Red Hat Cluster Suite is obsolete and replaced by Pacemaker in RHEL7.
>> Therefore the "ccs", "rgmanager", "rhcs", and "ricci" policy is obsolete.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/1020385/removed-025-11-from-experimental/
>>
>> certmaster never even made it into Debian proper and is obsolete upstream.
>>
>> certwatch never got into Debian, but I couldn't easily find the upstream
>> status, might be used on RHEL.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cipe/+bug/124384
>>
>> cipe is dead upstream.
>>
>> clockspeed seems to have gone ages ago and is dead upstream, hard to even
>> find google hits for it.
>>
>> clogd seems to have gone away.
>>
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1241259/clvm-package-in-repo
>>
>> cmirrord is part of clvm which has gone away.
>>
>> https://repology.org/project/consoletype/versions
>> consoletype doesn't seem to be used nowadays.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dcc
>>
>> dcc seems to have gone away 13 years ago.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/668558/removed-0423debian1-1-from-unstable/
>>
>> ddcprobe (part of xresprobe) was hugely obsolete 7 years ago.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/1152902/removed-210-2-from-unstable/
>> http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/changelog.html
>>
>> denyhosts was removed from Debian last year and hasn't been maintained
>> upstream since 2008.
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/news/558416/removed-3102dfsg-13-from-unstable/
>>
>> dspam was removed from Debian in 2014 because of lack of upstream
>> maintenance.
>>
>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/h/howl.html
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking
>>
>> howl was removed from Debian in 2005 and is described as "historical" in
>> Wikipedia.
>>
>> imaze appears to be long obsolete, I couldn't find a reference to it newer
>> than 2005.
>>
>> jockey appears obsolete, I can't find references to it that are newer than
>> 2014.
>>
>> ktalk seems obsolete more than 15 years ago.

> [...]

I made a PR that removes all of the above except for certwatch, as I found
CentOS 8 packages for it, and consoletype, as I feel like I've seen it recently.
  I also removed the clvmd_t domain.

https://github.com/SELinuxProject/refpolicy/pull/356

I'll keep this open until at least the end of next week for further comments.

--
Chris PeBenito