From: Gurpreet Singh Sachdeva
To: security-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 5:50 AM
Subject: RE: Encrypted kernel

>>>Under non-network environment, I think that the encryption is not a
>>>necessary part of operating system! If os can provide perfect access
>>>control mechanism, confidential data will be protected from compromise.

I doubt! There are tools like 'John the Ripper' and similar ones that can gain the 'root' access on the file system. So in the non-network environment if a normal user logs in to the system, he can destroy it using such tools.
And practically a Linux Box without a network is a *dream* J

Best Regards,

Gurpreet Singh Sachdeva
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿN?§²æìr¸?yé??[rêâ·/Ý?Ç.²Ïëz«?²ßå?{±±ç.®+rýÊ&Â+aþéì¹»®&Þþ)í?ë.n7?¶?í?é?²Æ