Linux Advisory Watch - February 27th 2004

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  February 27th, 2004                       Volume 5, Number 9a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for XFree86, the Linux kernel,
lbreakout2, mailman, synaesthesia, hsftp, pwlib, metamail, libxml2,
mtools, OpenSSL, mod_python, and libxml2.  The distributors include
Conectiva, Debian, Fedora, Immunix, Mandrake, NetBSD, Red Hat, Suse,
Trustix, and Turbolinux.

----

>> Internet Productivity Suite:  Open Source Security <<
Trust Internet Productivity Suites open source architecture to give you
the best security and productivity applications available. Collaborating
with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital security engineers
implement the most technologically advanced ideas and methods into their
design.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn09

----

SELinux Making Progress

First released in December 2000, SELinux has continued making progress in
development.  It was introduced containing mandatory access controls and
an example security policy demonstrating its usage.  Over the past three
years, the NSA and a team of volunteers have continued making improvements
on a consistent basis.

SELinux can provide access control for kernel objects, services,
processes, files, directories, sockets, network interfaces, and others. It
provides protection mechanisms against many well-known problems because it
eliminates the dependence on setuid/setgid binaries.  In a nutshell,
mandatory access control provides a finer and more in-depth level of
control for administrators.  Rather than being bound to the rules
established by software, effectively an administrator can fully set the
security policy.

The latest release of SELinux includes an updated base kernel and enhanced
policy language.  SELinux is a patch that can be applied to the kernel of
virtually any Linux system.  At the moment, many of the major Linux
distributions are developing patches that will give users the ability to
easily take advantage of SELinux.  When used correctly, SELinux can
provide administrators with a greater level of assurance.

Although the technology that SELinux takes advantage of can provide many
benefits, if used incorrectly a system can still remain vulnerable.  Poor
administration practices and uninformed staff can be problematic.  For
example, incorrectly implementing the software could give a false
impression of security, when in reality problems still exist.  When
evaluating a new tool or kernel patch it is important to take each step
slowly.  The system should be setup in a test environment and fully
evaluated.  Also, before moving a system into production, everyone
involved should be fully trained to deal with incidents if they arise.

If you are interested in finding out more about SELinux, please see the
following URL:

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/faq.cfm

Until next time, cheers!
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---

Interview with Vincenzo Ciaglia, Founder of Netwosix

In this article, a brief introduction of Netwosix is given and the project
founder Vincenzo Ciaglia is interviewed.  Netwosix is light Linux
distribution for system administrators and advanced users.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-160.html

CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEXT THREAT? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice award
thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the other
Linux vendors are not telling you.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

Introduction to Netwox and Interview with Creator Laurent Constantin

In this article Duane Dunston gives a brief introduction to Netwox, a
combination of over 130 network auditing tools.  Also, Duane interviews
Laurent Constantin, the creator of Netwox.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-158.html

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 2/23/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Bug can be used by local attackers to obtain root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/conectiva_advisory-4078.html

 2/23/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Greg MacManus from iDEFENSE Labs discovered[3][5] two
   vulnerabilities in the way the X server deals with font files.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/conectiva_advisory-4079.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/20/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Various buffer-overflow and input-non-validation vulnerabilities
   are fixed in this patch.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4062.html

 2/20/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   This patch is for the ia64 architecture.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4063.html

 2/23/2004 - lbreakout2
   Environment non-sanitation vulnerability

   This bug could be exploited by a local attacker to gain the
   privileges of group "games".
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4073.html

 2/23/2004 - mailman
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Patch for cross-site scripting and denial of service
   vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4074.html

 2/23/2004 - synaesthesia
   Insecure file creation

   This type of vulnerability can usually be easily exploited to
   execute arbitary code with root privileges by various means.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4075.html

 2/23/2004 - hsftp
   Format string vulnerability

   An attacker, able to create files on a remote server, could
   potentially execute  arbitrary code with the privileges of the
   user invoking hsftp.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4076.html

 2/23/2004 - pwlib
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   This library is most notably used in several applications
   implementing the H.323 teleconferencing protocol, including the
   OpenH323 suite, gnomemeeting and asterisk.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4077.html

 2/24/2004 - metamail
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   An attacker could create a carefully-crafted mail message which
   will execute arbitrary code as the victim when it is opened and
   parsed through metamail.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4081.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/26/2004 - libxml2
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Updated libxml2 packages are available to fix an overflow when
   parsing the URI for remote resources.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4087.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/26/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   While they found the flaw on the 2.4 series of Linux kernels, the
   2.2 series of Linux kernels is also vulnerable to the same
   problem.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/immunix_advisory-4088.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/24/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A flaw in the Linux kernel, versions 2.4.24 and previous, could
   allow a local user to obtain root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4082.html

 2/25/2004 - mtools
   Inappropriate use of privilege

   The mformat program can be used to gain root privileges when run
   suid root.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4083.html

 2/26/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerabilities

   This patches one mremap() and several driver vulnerabilites, each
   capable of allowing a local root compromise.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4086.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/20/2004 - Multiple
   Addendums to recent advisories

   Here are three mailings from the NetBSD announce list that discuss
   various gotchas with the recent advisories.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4061.html

 2/20/2004 - OpenSSL
   Denial of service vulnerability

   OpenSSL 0.9.6k ASN.1 parser had a possible denial-of-service
   vulnerability.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4068.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/26/2004 - mod_python
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Updated mod_python packages that fix a denial of service
   vulnerability are now available for Red Hat Linux.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4084.html

 2/26/2004 - libxml2
   Buffer overflow vulernability

   Updated libxml2 packages that fix an overflow when parsing remote
   resources are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4085.html

 2/26/2004 - mod_python
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Updated mod_python packages that fix a denial of service
   vulnerability are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4089.html

 2/26/2004 - libxml2
   Improper parse vulnerability

   Updated libxml2 packages that fix an overflow when parsing remote
   resources are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4090.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/23/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Successful exploitation of these bugs leads to local root access.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-4080.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/23/2004 - kernel
   2.2.25 Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Through this hole, it is possible for anyone with a local account
   on the system to gain root privileges. This is the kernel 2.2.25
   counterpart to the security hole fixed in TSLSA-2004-0007.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4070.html

 2/23/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A Linux memory management subsystem (mremap) issue has been
   discovered in kernel 2.4.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-4071.html