Linux Advisory Watch - February 20th 2004

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  February 20th, 2004                       Volume 5, Number 8a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for gnupg, kernel, mc, mutt, slocate,
XFree86, gaim, freeradius, samba, phpMyAdmin, clamav, mailman, metamail,
racoon, shmat, OpenSSL, and PWLib. The distributors include Debian,
Fedora, Gentoo, Immunix, Mandrake, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Red Hat, Slackware,
SuSE, Trustix, and Turbolinux.

----

>> Internet Productivity Suite:  Open Source Security <<
Trust Internet Productivity Suites open source architecture to give you
the best security and productivity applications available. Collaborating
with thousands of developers, Guardian Digital security engineers
implement the most technologically advanced ideas and methods into their
design.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=gdn08

----

Where Does Security Belong?

In most organizations security is an extension of the IT department. The
security staff may be under networking, system administration, or even the
helpdesk.  Why not?  The security team is responsible for solving security
problems and a large percentage of the controls that are put in place are
technical.  Traditionally, security has to do with user accounts, access
control lists, and occasionally a firewall or two.  The environment is
changing.  Proper information security today requires risk analysis,
security awareness training, and maintenance of the security policy.

Do you really think someone working as a security analyst, which is an
extension of the helpdesk is going to be able to influence the decisions
of the CIO or Director of Networking?  Who will enforce the security
policy?  Someone four job-levels away from executive management can not be
expected to properly enforce a security policy.  Interoffice politics is
too much of a problem.

There are several schools of thought on this subject.  Some believe that
security should be its own department in an organization, which is
independent of IT.  This way of thinking includes merging both physical
and information security.  Others believe that information security should
be an extension of a risk management, or internal audit group.  What
advantages do both of these have?  First, the security team may have
better access to executive management. Also, improved access and
department segmentation will help the political situation.  To get an IT
control implemented, rather than going through the typical interoffice
political channels, a simple directive from a member of executive
management can get the job done.

Information security is much broader than IT.  To properly mitigate or
transfer unacceptable business risks, a coordinated team is required
across the organization.  It is time that IT, HR, Finance, Audit, R&D, and
others begin working together.  What does this have to do with Linux?
Linux administrators should be aware of the changing environment.  In the
near future, security will be part of everyone's job.

Until next time, cheers!
Benjamin D. Thomas
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---

Interview with Vincenzo Ciaglia, Founder of Netwosix

In this article, a brief introduction of Netwosix is given and the project
founder Vincenzo Ciaglia is interviewed.  Netwosix is light Linux
distribution for system administrators and advanced users.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-160.html

CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEXT THREAT?
EnGarde is the undisputed winner! Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde!
Winner of the Network Computing Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked
away with our Editor's Choice award thanks to the depth of its security
strategy..." Find out what the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

Introduction to Netwox and Interview with Creator Laurent Constantin

In this article Duane Dunston gives a brief introduction to Netwox, a
combination of over 130 network auditing tools.  Also, Duane interviews
Laurent Constantin, the creator of Netwox.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-158.html

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------------------+

 2/18/2004 - gnupg
   Crytographic weakness

   Phong Nguyen identified a severe bug in the way GnuPG creates and
   uses ElGamal keys for signing.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4026.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Due to missing function return value check of internal functions a
   local attacker can gain root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4036.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   This is actually several related advisories, broken down by
   platform, but all referring to the same recently discovered kernel
   vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4044.html

 2/19/2004 - kernel
   Many patches for s390

   Several security related problems have been fixed in the Linux
   kernel 2.4.17 used for the S/390 architecture, mostly by
   backporting fixes from 2.4.18 and incorporating recent security
   fixes.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-4053.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/18/2004 - mc
   Buffer overflow vulernability

   update CAN-2003-1023 fix to still make vfs symlinks relative, but
   with bounds checking
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4042.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Heap overflow vulernability

   R128 DRI limits checking. (CAN-2004-0003)
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4043.html

 2/18/2004 - mutt
   Denial of service vulnerability

   This package fixes CAN-2004-0078, where a specifc message could
   cause mutt to crash.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4045.html

 2/18/2004 - slocate
   Privilege leak vulnerability

   A local user could exploit this vulnerability to gain "slocate"
   group privileges and then read the entire slocate database.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4046.html

 2/18/2004 - XFree86
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Updated XFree86 packages that fix a privilege escalation
   vulnerability are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4047.html

 2/18/2004 - gaim
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   This update fixes recent gaim security problems as discussed on
   both the gaim web site and was addressed by a recent Red Hat
   errata.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4048.html

 2/18/2004 - freeradius
   Denial of service vulnerability

   This version corrects a flaw in 0.9.2 (and all earlier versions of
   the server) which may allow an attacker to DoS the server.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4049.html

 2/18/2004 - samba
   Improper account enabling vuln.

   Under some circumstances, Samba 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 could overwrite
   the password field of a disabled account with uninitialized
   memory.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4050.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Paul Starzetz discovered a flaw in return value checking in
   mremap() in the Linux kernel versions 2.4.24 and previous that may
   allow a local attacker to gain root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4051.html

 2/19/2004 - kernel
   Bug in previous patch

   The previous security errata (2.4.22-1.2173) unfortunatly
   contained a bug which made some systems unbootable, due to
   breakage in the aacraid scsi driver.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/fedora_advisory-4054.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/18/2004 - phpMyAdmin
   Directory traversal vulernability

   A vulnerability in phpMyAdmin which was not properly verifying
   user generated input could lead to a directory traversal attack.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4028.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A vulnerability has been discovered by in the ptrace emulation
   code for AMD64 platforms, allowing a local user to obtain elevated
   priveleges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4029.html

 2/19/2004 - clamav
   Denial of service vulnerability

   Exploit by a malformed uuencoded message would cause a denial of
   service for programs that rely on the clamav daemon, such as SMTP.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-4055.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/13/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple buffer overflows

   Greg MacManus, of iDEFENSE Labs, reports finding several
   potentially exploitable buffer overflows in XFree86's font code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/immunix_advisory-4020.html

 2/18/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple buffer overflows

   Greg MacManus, of iDEFENSE Labs, reports finding several
   potentially exploitable buffer overflows in XFree86's font code.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/immunix_advisory-4030.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/18/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple buffer overflows

   Two buffer overflow vulnerabilities were found by iDEFENSE in
   XFree86's parsing of the font.alias file.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4031.html

 2/18/2004 - mailman
   Cross-site scripting vulnerabilities

   A cross-site scripting vulnerability was discovered in mailman's
   administration interface.  There fixes here for other mailman
   vulnerabilities as well.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4032.html

 2/19/2004 - metamail
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Two format string and two buffer overflow vulnerabilities were
   discovered in metamail by Ulf Harnhammar.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-4052.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/19/2004 - racoon
   Remote deletion of SA

   IPsec SA/ISAKMP SA may be deleted remotely by malicious third
   party
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4056.html

 2/19/2004 - kernel
   Denial of service vulnerability

   A malicious party can cause a remote kernel panic by using ICMPv6
   "too big" messages.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4057.html

 2/19/2004 - shmat
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A programming error in the shmat(2) system call can result in a
   shared memory segment's reference count being erroneously
   incremented.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-4059.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/19/2004 - OpenSSL
   Denial of service vulnerability

   OpenSSL 0.9.6k ASN.1 parser had a possible denial-of-service
   vulnerability.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/openbsd_advisory-4058.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/13/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple buffer overflows

   A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a
   carefully-crafted file and gaining root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4021.html

 2/13/2004 - PWLib
   Denial of service vulnerability

   The effects of such an attack can vary depending on the
   application, but would usually result in a Denial of Service.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4022.html

 2/18/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple buffer overflows

   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4033.html

 2/18/2004 - samba
   Improper account enabling vuln.

   If an account for a user is created, but marked as disabled using
   the mksmbpasswd script, it is possible for Samba to overwrite the
   user's password with the contents of an uninitialized buffer.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4039.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   Updated kernel packages that fix security vulnerabilities which
   may allow local users to gain root privileges are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4040.html

 2/18/2004 - metamail
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   Ulf Harnhammar discovered two integer overflow bugs and two buffer
   overflow bugs in versions of Metamail up to and including 2.7.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-4041.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/13/2004 - mutt
   Buffer overflow vulnerability

   Upgrade to version 1.4.2i to fix a buffer overflow that could lead
   to a machine compromise.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4023.html

 2/13/2004 - XFree86
   Multiple buffer overflows

   These fix overflows which could possibly be exploited to gain
   unauthorized root access.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4024.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A bounds-checking problem in the kernel's mremap() call could be
   used by a local attacker to gain root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4037.html

 2/18/2004 - metamail
   Multiple vulnerabilities

   These fix two format string bugs and two buffer overflows which
   could lead to unauthorized code execution.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/slackware_advisory-4038.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/19/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulernability

   Local attacker can gain write access to previous read-only pages
   in memory, resulting in root access to the system.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-4060.html

+---------------------------------+

 2/13/2004 - mutt
   Denial of service vulnerability

   It was discovered that certain messages would cause mutt to crash.
   Mutt 1.4.2 fixes this bug.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4025.html

 2/18/2004 - kernel
   Privilege escalation vulnerability

   A hole was discovered in the mremap.  Through this hole, it is
   possible for anyone with a local account on the system to gain
   root privileges.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-4035.html

 2/18/2004 - XFree86
   and slocate Multiple vulnerabilities

   (1) XFree86 -> Font file buffer overlows (2) slocate -> Buffer
   overlows
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-4034.html