RE: What do these log entries mean?

I'm really not the most qualified to be answering this but if I had to
take a wild stab at this I would say there is a trojan or something
running, either enabling telnetd as needed, or running as telnetd but
that would be stupid since if I were going to write a trojan I wouldn't
let it log.  Is there really even a reason for you to have xinetd
running (assuming you are running Linux not sure how everyone else has
it...I guess inetd?) there could be some exploit for inetd or xinetd
allow a remote attacker to enable the transient service.

Also would it hurt to make nobody's shell /bin/false? For that matter
any user account that does not really need to login?  Aren't most of
those accounts for service to run as?  I don't think they need shells...

Do you have any kind of IDS running? Snort maybe?  I would also from an
untrusted source try scanning with nessus. A friend of mine suggested to
me,(before we got out watch guard box), to use portsentry and iptables
and leave something harmless listening on a known port that would get
scanned.  Anyone who is supposed to interface with this box wouldn't go
to this suspect port and if you did portsentry would (I think this is
how it works...I should really read up on this stuff before replying...)
add entries to iptables blocking that ip/range...

I hope this helps...

Jon Pastore, President
IDE Tech, Inc.
(954) 360-0393 Office