Re: root unable to delete

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77            08/11/02 10.39

>From the little knowledge I have of hacked machines the most common
element that was done was to install a root kit.

This piece of nastiness when installed does all sorts of things to help
the attacker manipulate the box. I have personally seen another root shell
started that was extremely difficult to find. What it actually masqueraded
as was another httpd line in a ps aux output - very clever.

So a root kit may have been installed onto your box. The attacker may or
may not know exactly what was done to take control : only the fact that
the root kit is controlling things for him (or her).

Try doing a search on root kits in Google, there are also several progs
out there that can discover root kits - once you know which one was used
you may be able to find the things it changes.

Rgs,

Matt

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:55:04 -0500
Subject: Re: root unable to delete

The immutable bit may have been set.

chattr +i <file>

or

chattr -R +i <dir>  (This would recurvisely apply the immutable bit to
every file and directory under <dir>

The immutable bit doesn't allow files to be edited or deleted even as
root.  To remove the bit run:

chattr -i <file>

or

chattr -R -i <dir>

That may be what the attacker did.  At least one possibility.  I knew
someone who got hacked and that is what the attacker did.

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Administrator wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I had a machine get hacked on RH 7.2
> Whoever did it made some changes to files
> and did something to the file that does not
> all me to delete the file, when I am logged
> in as root and the file is owned by root and
> is in the group of root and is set as 755 .
> I can't even edit and save the changes to the
> file.
>
> Can someone tell me how they did it ?
>
> I have removed the machine and rebuilt it but
> I would love to know how it was done.
>
> Thanks all,
> Mike

duane

'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought
which they avoid.'
- Kierkegaard

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-116.html
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/dsniff-monitoring.html --