Re: root unable to delete

Maybe the intruder set the +i attribute on the file by using chattr.

According to it's man pages:

<quote>

A  file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it can­
       not be deleted or renamed, no link can be created to  this
       file  and  no  data  can  be written to the file. Only the
       superuser can set or clear this attribute.

</quote>

But since you have rebuilt the whole machine, you cannot confirm it. However in future try chattr -i /path/to/filename before modifying it.