Re: Editing /etc/passwd as a non-root user

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Haresh Motwani wrote:

> Actually, I need to edit /etc/passwd file thru a gui. The user will be
> asked to enter his username and current pwd along with the new pwd. On
> submit the script will validate the current pwd and then change it. For
> this I need to run a script which will be able to edit my /etc/passwd file.
> Obviously in this case the script would be running as user.

Try usermin, part of the webmin project.  webmin/usermin runs as root and
uses PAM to change the password.  Because it is a fairly mature opensource
project, its likely to have better security that a customized GUI.  That
being said, I don't put things like that on my servers!  Customer
requirments vary...

Depending on the requirements, I would setup some iptables rules so it
would only be accessible from specified IP's.  That would lessen the
chance of a exploit.

Chuck Peters, Systems Administrator, Network Engineer and Linux Tech.
StarrySkies Network, http://StarrySkies.com, publishing science articles
since 1995. http://StarrySkies.Net, an online science community.
http://StarryMessenger.Net, the weekly newsletter of StarrySkies.