Re: Editing /etc/passwd as a non-root user

Actually, I need to edit /etc/passwd file thru a gui. The user will be
asked to enter his username and current pwd along with the new pwd. On
submit the script will validate the current pwd and then change it. For
this I need to run a script which will be able to edit my /etc/passwd file.
Obviously in this case the script would be running as user.

At 08:41 AM 11/6/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Whoa, why do you need to do this?  it's generally a really bad idea.
>If you need a user to edit his/her own info via this script, that's what
>commands like passwd, chfn, and chsh are for.  Otherwise, only root should be
>running something like this.
>
>--Andy
>

>On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 12:49:43PM +0530, Haresh Motwani wrote:
> > I need to read and edit /etc/passwd file thru a script which is running as
> > a user.
> >
> > Can suEXEC do it? is there any other way of doing it.
> >

> > -- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
> >

> > ---

---