question re opensource security

OK, I have a question, and I'm hoping some Open Source wonks out there can
answer it for me.

First, a couple of truisms about open source software:

1. It suffers fewer flaws than proprietary software, thanks to the nature of
open source review.

2. When flaws are discovered in open source code, they're fixed faster,
thanks to open source review, etc etc.

My question: Has anyone ever conducted any studies or surveys that bear out
these truisms? Do you know of any research that suggests open source
software is less flawed and fixed faster?

If you do, please post the answer here or email me at
OpenSeeker2002@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

D.Wood