Re: help to verify the deflate compression

Sam

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Sam Chan wrote:

> I have a questions on running compression using IPsec.
>
> I have everything is working using IPsec. Now I want to use deflate
> compression too. In the ipsec.conf file, I enable the IPCOM by adding a
> line: CONFIG_IPSEC_IPCOM=y
>
> Now, my question is how can I tell or how to verify I'm using the deflate
> compression.
>
> Please give me some hints or any poniter for the answer will be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

I assume you're using Linux FreeS/WAN.  First off, CONFIG_IPSEC_IPCOMP
goes in the kernel config, not the ispec.conf. ;).

To enable compression (from ipsec.conf(5)):

   CONN PARAMETERS:  AUTOMATIC KEYING
       compress      whether IPComp compression of content is desired  on  the
                     connection  (link-level  compression  does  not  work  on
                     encrypted data, so to be effective, compression  must  be
                     done before encryption); acceptable values are yes and no
                     (the default).  The two ends need not agree.  A value  of
                     no  is  absolute:  IPsec  will neither propose nor accept
                     compression.  A value of yes causes IPsec to propose both
                     compressed and uncompressed, and prefer compressed.

So you'd set compress=yes in either each connection definition or in the
%default connection.

Take a look at `ipsec whack --status` (once a connection has been
established), it should tell you weather or not compression was negotiated
properly.

Cheers,
Ryan