Linux Advisory Watch - October 11th 2002

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  October 11th, 2002                       Volume 3, Number 41a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave@linuxsecurity.com     ben@linuxsecurity.com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for tomcat, tkmail, htmail, fetchmail,
buzilla, libkvm, Konqueror, talkd, sendmail, pic, libc, rouge, apache,
hylafax, php, tcpdump, gv, and nss_ldap.  The vendors include Conectiva,
Debian, EnGarde, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Red Hat, and SuSE.

Network Security Audit - "Information for the right people at right time
and from anywhere" has been the driving force for providing access to the
most of the vital information on the network of an organization over the
Internet. This is a simple guide on conducting a network security audit,
This article contains points for conducting an audit.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-120.html

** Concerned about the next threat? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what
the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

 --> http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: tomcat                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

A security vulnerability has been found in all Tomcat 4.x releases.
This problem allows an attacker to use a specially crafted URL to
return the unprocessed source code of a JSP page, or, under special
circumstances, a static resource which would otherwise have been
protected by security constraints, without the need for being
properly authenticated.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/contrib/t/tomcat4/
 libtomcat4-java_4.0.3-3woody1_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:  1133954 913a12f0bc47c3dd7b32416b3ebbd1a5

 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/contrib/t/tomcat4/
 tomcat4-webapps_4.0.3-3woody1_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:  1385482 395d7482c58aa9e41702e605071792c9

 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/contrib/t/
 tomcat4/tomcat4_4.0.3-3woody1_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:   126030 904242e382289346c58cf93cfc2ddc9b

 Debian Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2405.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: tkmail                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

It has been discovered that tkmail creates temporary files insecurely.
Exploiting this an attacker with local access can easily create and
overwrite files as another user.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/t/tkmail/
 tkmail_4.0beta9-8.1_alpha.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:   223450 c052579b2cee968909bc10dfc8cc4d1e

 Debian Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2415.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: htmail                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-08-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Ulf Harnhammer discovered a problem in ht://Check's PHP interface.
The PHP interface displays information unchecked which was gathered
from crawled external web servers.  This could lead into a cross site
scripting attack if somebody has control over the server responses of
a remote web server which is crawled by ht://Check.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/h/htcheck/
 htcheck-php_1.1-1.1_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:    42150 8714bfe5188922baf0026d1d09eaf657

 Debian Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2421.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: fetchmail             | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-07-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Stefan Esser discovered several buffer overflows and a broken boundary
check within fetchmail.  If fetchmail is running in multidrop mode these
flaws can be used by remote attackers to crash it or to execute arbitrary
code under the user id of the user running fetchmail. Depending on the
configuration this even allows a remote root compromise.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/f/fetchmail/
 fetchmail-common_5.9.11-6.1_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:   165264 7256588af225867b680d786915073439

 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/f/fetchmail/
 fetchmailconf_5.9.11-6.1_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:    92606 573f619586119ee527148b3088217218

 Debian Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2422.html

 Red Hat:
 Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2423.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: bugzilla              | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-07-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Stefan Esser discovered several buffer overflows and a broken boundary
check within fetchmail.  If fetchmail is running in multidrop mode these
flaws can be used by remote attackers to crash it or to execute arbitrary
code under the user id of the user running fetchmail. Depending on the
configuration this even allows a remote root compromise.

Vendor Alerts:

 Debian:
 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/b/bugzilla/
 bugzilla-doc_2.14.2-0woody2_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:   489348 de8dbc7aa0b14d6e798a8cc94760ae19

 http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/b/bugzilla/
 bugzilla_2.14.2-0woody2_all.deb
 Size/MD5 checksum:   273932 74eedc712211c3d740291333ffc7e022

 Debian Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2425.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: libkvm                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-07-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

The kvm(3) library provides a uniform interface for accessing kernel
virtual memory images, including live systems and crash dumps.  Access to
live systems is via /dev/mem and /dev/kmem.  Memory can be read and
written, kernel symbol addresses can be looked up efficiently, and
information about user processes can be gathered.

Vendor Alerts:

 FreeBSD:
 ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/
 SA-02:39/libkvm.patch

 FreeBSD Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-2430.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: Konqueror             | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-07-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

A vulnerability was discovered in Konqueror's cross site scripting
protection, in that it fails to initialize the domains on sub-(i)frames
correctly.  Because of this, javascript may access any foreign subframe
which is defined in the HTML source, which can be used to steal cookies
from the client and allow other cross-site scripting attacks.  This also
affects other KDE software that uses the KHTML rendering engine.

Vendor Alerts:

 Mandrake:
 PLEASE SEE VENDORY ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

 Mandrake Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-2429.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: talkd                 | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-08-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Rogue talk client is able to cause talkd to overrun the buffer, and could
be able to compromise root privilege of the machine running talkd. Actual
attack script is yet to be found.

Vendor Alerts:

 NetBSD:
 PLEASE SEE VENDORY ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

 NetBSD Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-2416.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: sendmail              | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-08-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

If smrsh (sendmail restricted shell) is in use with sendmail, local user
can bypass access restrictions imposed by smrsh.

Vendor Alerts:

 NetBSD:

 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-2417.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: pic                   | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-08-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

pic(1) had a buffer overrun in argument handling. The problem could be
remotely exploited depending on lpd(8) setup.

Vendor Alerts:

 NetBSD:

 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-2419.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: libc/libresolve       | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

BIND-based DNS resolver did not allocate a sufficiently large receive
memory buffer. Large DNS responses (even if valid) could overrun the
buffer, or could confuse DNS response parsing. NetBSD uses BIND4-based DNS
resolver code in libc/libresolv, and is vulnerable. The release of this
advisory has been postponed for coordination with third party.

Vendor Alerts:

 NetBSD:

 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-2418.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: rogue                 | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-08-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

There are several buffer overflows in the processing of saved games
when restarting rogue(6), that allow one to obtain group "games."

Vendor Alerts:

 NetBSD:

 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/netbsd_advisory-2420.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: OpenBSD               | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-08-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Insufficient boundary checks in the select call allow an attacker to
overwrite kernel memory and execute arbitrary code in kernel context.
Traditionally, the size parameter for the select system call is a
signed integer.  As a result, the kernel evaluates the upper boundary
checks in a signed context, so that an attacker can circumvent when
using certain negative values. When the kernel copies the data for
the select system call from userland the size is used as an unsigned
integer which causes kernel memory to be overwritten with arbitrary
data.

Vendor Alerts:

 OpenBSD:
 ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/3.1/
 common/014_scarg.patch

 OpenBSD Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/openbsd_advisory-2279.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: Apache                | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-07-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

There is a vulnerability regarding apache's use of shared memory
(SHM). An attacker which is able to execute code under the
webserver's UID is able to send arbitrary processes an USR1 signal as
root. If untreated, the default for this signal is to terminate the
process.

Vendor Alerts:

 Conectiva:
 ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
 apache-1.3.26-1U8_4cl.i386.rpm

 ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
 apache-devel-1.3.26- 1U8_4cl.i386.rpm

 ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
 apache-doc-1.3.26-1U8_4cl.i386.rpm

 Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2411.html

 EnGarde:
 ftp://ftp.engardelinux.org/pub/engarde/stable/updates/

 i386/apache-1.3.27-1.0.32.i386.rpm
 MD5 Sum: 63b00c465bb617f3e08a04154a8ffea7

 i686/apache-1.3.27-1.0.32.i686.rpm
 MD5 Sum: aa9ed8ab148de56f696ee6f2a52a5f77

 EnGarde Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2414.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: hylafax               | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

The logging function of faxgetty prior version 4.1.3 was vulnerable to a
format string bug when handling the TSI value of a received facsimile.
This bug could easily be used to trigger a denial-of-service attack or to
execute arbitrary code remotely.

Vendor Alerts:

 SuSE:
 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/n4/
 hylafax-4.1-285.i386.patch.rpm
 3115ebdb9e65027f35809463c5e6ae7e

 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/n4/
 hylafax-4.1-285.i386.rpm
 07b0f2d015b0fd83c5bb9be548e7b8fb

 SuSE Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-2412.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: mod_php               | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

PHP is a well known and widely used web programming language.  If a PHP
script runs in "safe mode" several restrictions are applied to it
including limits on execution of external programs. An attacker can pass
shell meta-characters or sendmail(8) command line options via the 5th
argument (introduced in version 4.0.5) of the mail() function to execute
shell commands or control the behavior of sendmail(8).

Vendor Alerts:

 SuSE:
 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/n2/
 mod_php4-4.1.0-257.i386.patch.rpm
 00ce030f55f4d0af32528402a5cbe269

 ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/n2/
 mod_php4-4.1.0-257.i386.rpm
 3399c5b577464a282c85a6fcb56be915

 SuSE Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-2413.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: nss_ldap              | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Updated nss_ldap packages are now available for Red Hat Linux 6.2, 7, 7.1,
7.2, and 7.3. These updates fix a potential buffer overflow which can
occur when nss_ldap is set to configure itself using information stored in
DNS, a format string bug in logging functions used in pam_ldap, and to
properly handle truncated DNS responses.

Vendor Alerts:

 Red Hat:
 ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/nss_ldap-189-4.i386.rpm
 8dc0d40503cbc09a55a111fc53ec42ba

 Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2409.html

+---------------------------------+
|  Package: tcpdump               | ----------------------------//
|  Date: 10-04-2002               |
+---------------------------------+

Updated tcpdump, libpcap, and arpwatch packages are available for Red Hat
Linux 6.2 and 7.x. These updates close a buffer overflow when handling NFS
packets.

Vendor Alerts:

 Red Hat:
 PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

 Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2410.html

|  Date: 10-04-2002               |

Updated packages for gv and ggv fix a local buffer overflow when
reading malformed PDF or PostScript(R) files.

 http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2432.html