Re: Port Scan Question (kinda urgent)

Phew! , I can imagine the state you would probably be in, but you're at the right place.
Anyway, First of all, there could be two reasons for those ports to be seen (filtered),

First: the external host from which you are scanning either the host itself could be filtering those outgoing connections or the router or gateway of that external machine could be filtering outgoing ports which are seen in your scan as filtered.

Secondly: May be you're firewall is not sending REJECT message on those ports and instead sending DENY or DROP. So that's why your box is not saying that (HELLO You are not Allowed on this port) so supposingly nmap thinks that those ports are being filtered.

As far as the chkrootkit problem is concerned, why don't you just install RH7.0 on a fresh different PC and then make md5sum of all the critical files which are in /bin and /sbin and then compare those signatures with the box you're suspicious that is cracked. (make sure you make a copy of (supposingly compromised box) first.

Also do another method which i commonly do is that, I keep clean copies of binaries which are most commonly trojanned such as:

netstat
ls
ps
lsof ( I just saw one rootkit with lsof binary so far)
pstree ( // )
/bin/login
finger
who

and whenever I feel a bit paranoid (which is mosly do) , I just slip out my floppy of those binaries and compare output of the existing system binaries with the output of my fresh/clean binaries in write protected disk.

Anyways Goodluck.

Regards,
---------
Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka

Chief Technology Officer
Gem Internet Services (Pvt) Ltd.
web: www.gem.net.pk
voice: 92-021-111-GEMNET

Chief Security Analyst
Applied Technology Research Center (ATRC)
web: www.atrc.net.pk
voice: 92-21-4980523 92-21-4974781

"Great is the Art of beginning, but Greater is the Art of ending. "