new to list, wuestion about firewalling ports over 1024

Hi everybody,
there was said that I shall introduce me, so I'll do :)
I have been running Debian GNU/Linux (woody release) for about a year,
I'm studiing on Charles University (see in my signature :)) and living
at the dormitory connected to internet via 100Mbit/s, I am very
interested in computer security overall.
So I thing that's enough.

And here's my question (if somebody can explain me), how is it with
ports over 1024? I've read it's secure to leave them open, but I thing
it will be more secure to close them :) So is it possible to choose
exactly these ports I really need?

For example I am running sshd, ftpd, netbios-* and talkd and with iptables I
accept everything on ports over 1024 and below 1024 I refuse everything
with exceptions on ports 21,22,...

TIA

--
Regards
 Martin Kacerovsky, student of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics