Re: Buffer Overflow

Conditions such as stack/heap based overflows and format string vulnerabilities are common to UNIX/Linux environments. Programs that
are set-uid may be vulnerable to these types of bugs. Basically, if you are a good programmer, you can pretty much prevent these types of bugs from occuring. As was already said, the whole idea is to execute some kind of interactive shell. So the "stack" would look something like

 |NOPNOPNOP SHELLCODE------> RETRETRET  |

 |---buffer-----------------| EBP | EIP |
          ^                          |
          +--------------------------+
                                    Your new spoofed return address
                                    executes your shellcode next.

KEY: NOP - No OPeration
     SHELLCODE - hexidecimal code that spawns a shell.
     RET - Your return address (where the shellcode resides.)

There are many good docs on this. 0xc0ffee.com has many docs on it.

>> I heard about the linux vulnerability caused by the buffer overflow which allows intruders to execute arbitary command as root on the system. Can u guys tell me what actually happens behind the scene?? Moreover what are the services readily exposed to this kind of vulnerability?
>>
>> It would be very helpful if u can refer me to some weblink for detail info.
>>
>> ~ Tauhid ~

Email account furnished courtesy of AntiOnline - http://www.AntiOnline.com
AntiOnline - The Internet's Information Security Super Center!