Re: IPChains rule.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Bruno Gimenes Pereti wrote:
> I was compiling ntop in my redhat and sudenly it rebooted (don't know the
> reason yet).
Bruno,

Did you check /var/log/messages, if not do a "less /var/log/messages"
and look for syslog messages close to that time where the reboot
happened. Also check /var/log/secure and /var/log/xferlog for clues
of intrusion attempts.

This line =>
> -A input -p tcp -i eth0 -s myHome -d 0/0 22 -l -j ACCEPT
generates this one =>
> ACCEPT  tcp   ----l-    myHome   0.0.0.0/0             * ->   22

it says allow any to ssh to myHome

this one says
> ACCEPT  udp  ------   my2NS    0.0.0.0/0             53 ->   *
allow DNS to talk to my computer using UDP from their port 53

> I don't have the first rule in my /etc/sysconfig/ipchains file.
>
> # more /etc/sysconfig/ipchains
> :input ACCEPT
> :forward ACCEPT
> :output ACCEPT
> # -A input -p icmp -s 0/0 8 -d myIP 0 -j REJECT
> -A input -p tcp -i eth0 -s myHome -d 0/0 22 -l -j ACCEPT
>
> The init-script is equal to the rpm one.
>
> Do I have to worry? Does anybody know what is this?

If that is all you have for a ipchains script, then yes, worry.

Go to freashmeat.net or google and search for a ipchains or
better yet, use iptables.

Installing AIDE or Tripwire (and using it) is a good way
to find out if your computer has been compromised.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire

There is a lot of good documentation out there on how to
secure your computer, read it and apply it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=securing+linux

Good luck,

::dc::

David Correa RHCE CCNA    _    _ _  _ _  _ _  _    ___ ____ ____ _  _