Re: With or without proxy !

I've never used proxy based firewalls myself so I can only discuss this
from a theoretical perspective.

Proxy have the advantage that you never directly expose the application on
your sensitive hosts to internet traffic.  Clients will only have direct
access to the proxy server, which, being a well written (and relatively
simple) security product should be less vulnerable to attacks then the
actual server (which is more complex and likeley written by less security
conscious application developers).  While there's probably a lot of stuff
that a proxy can't gaurd against (ie flaws in the protocol or
implementation that allow well formed data to be used as an exploit) it
should protect you from attacks taht use badly formed data (since the
proxy server should only resend well formed data to your actual server).

Please understand I am by no means an expert on this and what I described
above is based on my understanding of how proxies work (read protocal data
in, validate it, and regenerate identical protocol data to send to the
actual server).  If that is wrong then my argument lacks merit.

Regards,
Sheer