iptables

Hi all,
I need to put a cron job to check up periodically my iptables' counters, so
to do it i need to find where does iptables stores them. I know that
ipchains uses /proc/net/ip_fwchains but there is no similar file (ot at
least I couldn't find one) for iptables. So can anyone tell me where the
file I'm looking for is (and ofcourse what is it's name :o) )

Thanks
Martin

P.S: I just don't like solutions like "iptables -L -v";)