Re: Building a home network

At 15:23 2001-10-19 -0400, you wrote:

>Hey everybody,
>
>I'm about to build myself a little home network to fool around with.  I
>have 3 computers total which will be running off a cable modem.  One of
>them will act as the firewall / router, the other is my Linux box and the
>third one is a Windows box.  I will tell you how I was thinking of setting
>it up and would appreciate any feedback on any discrepancies and would
>also enjoy some suggestions.
>
>Specs:
>
>Router:          Pentium II 400Mhz, 128M SDRAM, 10gig 7200rpm h.d ...
>Linux:            AMD Duron 800Mhz, 512M SDRAM ....
>Windows:      AMD Athlon 1Ghz, 512 DDR ...
>Hub:             5 port 10 / 100 baseT
>
>(Don't take this as me trying to show off, it just shows that I wont have
>any problems with processing power)

Nice HW... Show off :-)

>I want to install EnGarde Linux as the OS for my router.  I read up on it
>and it seems to be a good choice.  I will be running iptables with NAT
>support.  I was wondering if I should also install something like Lids or
>Bastille.  Also, is it ok to use this box as a server (i.e. webserver,
>dns, ftp)?

Good OS... I don't like it, but it's me.  But still, it's a good dist. if
you want to build a server, and not so good for routing... But, like I
said, it's me !

I have RH 7.1 with Snort..... work well !! Just an idea !

You should also think about SQUID, it's a very nice cache !

To use that box as a server, it's not a so good deal.  The less services
you have in the box, the more secure it will be !!  Plus, BIND and FTP are
easy to hack !  Take care !

>My Linux box is running Slackware 8.0, but I don't have any security
>software running on it, should I?  The only ports I have open are ssh,
>auth, sunrpc and X11, and will probably need to get the netbios ports open
>for Samba.

Should put SNORT there to !

>Talking about Samba, what version of Windows is the best for this type of
>networking?  I was thinking either 2000 or XP.  And seeing that, do they
>both network fine with Linux?  Or did Microsoft screw with the SMB
>protocol for the new XP? ... bastards ;)

Don't know MS su&k !

>Thanks,
>
>Dave

Eric Daigneault
edaigneault@vacv.com
Administrateur de Système
Vacances Air Canada

Play with the best, die like the rest !!!