PAM or password program

I am looking for a password program that root can use..DUH.  I want to set a
minimum # of characters, uppercase letters, and numbers/special characters.
I have tried to use PAM with Cracklib like this:
/etc/pam.d/passd and /etc/pam.d/login (have tried in both):
password  required pam_cracklib.so minlen=10 dcredit= 2 ucredit=2   //
minimum of 10 characters, 2 uppercase, 2 digits

I then saved and exited, rebooted and logged in as root and created a new
user, did the password, and then logged out and logged back in as the user
and changed my password and none of the requireds that i made took. I have
researched this and the only info i can find that is slightly helpful is
from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam.html
Is there anything i am doing wrong in this??

OR is there a program that i can use in Gnome/command line that will do this
same thing but work??

I work for Dell Linux and have talked to RH and they just looked at the code
for Linuxconf and didnt find anything usefull except for Linuxconf specific
info/config and NO i do NOT want to use Linuxconf...using RH 7.1 and it is
not supported by/from RH since they didnt isntall it by default due to some
issues with the new layout or something like that, dont know
specifically...but you can isntall it but i dont want it.

Rob Wideman