Re: testing GAP with our latest GIMP author

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:18:34AM -0700, Jesus Consuegra wrote:

>   I wouldn't like to be unkind, but this might be taken as a subtle book advertising in disguise...
>   Otherwise, the book looks interesting, anyway.

this is an interesting opinion/observation.  i just spent yesterday on
the irc being told that it looked like i was being mean to akkana.
there is (in my minds eye) nothing wrong with publishing a book about
GIMP!  in fact, it would be nice if there were more books available for
it.

look at it this way, it is a rare event that a company that prints
things acknowledges that GIMP exists at all beyond complaining about the
things that GIMP doesn't have.

without the existence of good press, all there would be is bad press
about GIMP.  until me or someone else sets up their own printing press
themselves, going through a book printing company is the best way to get
books about GIMP onto the shelves.

i look at it this way.  if the situation were reversed, say if i had
written a book about GIMP, i would like for my friends to be in my
corner and help where they could.  i encouraged akkana to become
involved with the project.  you should be the kind of friend that you
would like to have.  don't you think?

corporations and companies (not just publishers) don't have to be bad
and are not the enemy.  they just paint themselves this way so very very
often.

i am actually concerned that answering an email from someone with your
name is a way to subliminally advertise for a movie that is being
released this week here in united states.  that being said, and if there
is anyone wondering about that -- i will be waiting for the movie about
the mutants that is opening next week before i get excited enough to pay
to see any hollywood dribble.

thanks for providing a different look at this for me,

carol

Mr. Hankey: Santa Claus is on his way / Load of goodies on his sleigh /
He'll dump them all on Christmas day / And I'll say "Howdy Ho!"
                                                  -- South Park, 1997

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM